Friday 9 December 2011

Christchurch

Yesterday we left home early to attend a Christmas market in Christchurch where my talented daughter was selling the beautiful beadwork that she makes. 

Here is the 'proud mom' moment showing some of her creations. The photographs do not do the work justice.

I love the sparkly charm bracelets.


Of course, all I want on my Christmas tree this year are these baubles which I have watched her beading. They dance and twinkle on the tree.  


My favourites are her woven pieces. They are exquisite. 


She has made me a number of pairs of earrings to replace the ones I lost in NYC.


After the set up. I left her to her own devices and look off to the Indulgent Dessert Lounge for a breakfast of waffles which was delicious. 

I sat knitting the Artyarns Shall Kit that I bought in New York. It is a great Chirstmas knit as it is all sparkly with sequin and beaded yarn. It an amazingly satisfying knit.


My view from the table


and the temptation of lots of delicious goodies to make one stay for a bit longer.


I wondered through town hoping for some Christmas gift inspiration. Along the way this made me smile. It is called 'Her favourite cloud' and made me think of the games we play with the cloud shapes. 


At the LYS (local yarn shop), where I bought some yarn for mittens, this little hen graced the window. She is very cute. Look at her frilly chest. What a wonderful idea!


I love Christchurch and although there is wonderful shopping, I was uninspired on the High Street so I took off to explore instead. 

What I love about this country is that almost every town one visits is steeped in history and has a tale to tell. 


The Priory is a beautiful old building through which the sun pours to light up lovely stained glass windows.


Beyond the grounds is the road to Christchurch Quay.


Here swans gather in quite large numbers. They were all out of the water when I arrived.


It was such a fresh clear winter's day that across the water, I could see the white cliffs of the Isle of Wight in the distance.


The skyline is dominated by the Priory tower where ever you are in the town.


I did not know that there were hippos here....


The bandstand cross the park looks quite forlorn but the trees are the most beautiful colour. It appears that I am quite alone but there were lots of people out. 


Some boats are all lined up out to of the water. 


Leaving the quay, I walked through the Priory gardens.


Another thing that I love about this country is how all the weather vanes match the history of the area. On the Priory is a fish.


I walked through this lovely iron gate to the path that runs along the river.


The milder weather has brought the squirrels out for a last meal.


Behind the Priory and in the centre of the town are the ruins of the Great Tower which was a Norman building and the heart of the Norman town before the Priory was built.


Safely locked with a brand new padlock, these old stocks were below the tower. I wonder how may people saw their use.



No comments:

Post a Comment