Sunday 28 July 2013

Batty Fibre-East

On Friday eve, the Saint asked me what I would like to do over the weekend. I told him I had never been to Fibre-East. After a lovely breakfast at the deli, Dish, we found our way to one of the most enjoyable fibre experiences. For me, it was love at first sight.

At the entrance I bought my memento bag.


The entrance was filled with all the equipment one needs for a well maintained fibre studio and looms stood displaying an array of work.


There were hand carders to play with too.


The festival was a celebration of all the wonderful Indie dyers that I love to support online and it is always wonderful to meet them in person. You will notice this blog has no yarn in it. Apparently knitting with handspun has cured my addiction.


These silks and cottons where on The Mulbery Dyer stall and all all dyed with natural dyes. Such beautiful shades.


P&M Woolcraft were in the main hall and I liberated some of their sparkly merino to play with.


At Texere, there was raw silk for weaving which I was very happy to find.


I always love seeing lots of spinning wheels together. It makes my heart sing.


The Saint bought me a beautifully Niddy Noddy at Spinwise.


 Shetland Sheep had these beautiful sheepy bits


and fleece shade wheels


Walking into the next room there was this garment arrayed with locks made by SpinCityUK 


and her stall was filled with delicious batts


and fun spindles.


One of her mermaid batts may have found its way home with me.


Beautiful baskets adorned a stall and were oh so tempting.


I spent a long time at Freyalyn's chatting to her, coveting her fibre and admiring the gorgeous quilts she made and uses as the backdrop to her stall. I love the sheep.



At Willo Fibres

I bought Corriedale.


It was a joy to see Katie from HilltopCloud and chat to her again.  If you look in the corner of the batt display there is a cream batt at the bottom that I stroked for a long time. It is has angora in it and it very nearly left her stall to join me.


Instead I fell for 50% angora and 50% silk and I have started spinning it already on my little Turkish Spindle from Ian at IST : The Wood Emporium. It is simply delicious.

.

In the guild's tent, all the local guilds were present with fine displays of their member's work, these rag rugs caught my eye.


Back in the halls, I chatted to Sara from Sara's Textured Craft


and examined the rolags. I have never spun rolags before so am quite exited by this purchase.


I was also seduced by a squishy braid of merino/nylon called Bohemia.


I went quite batty at the Low Lands Legacy stall where they were so beautifully displayed and


I liberated a few.



Dawn, this one has your name on it. Get well soon so that you can claim it.


Lastly, at Little Owl Crafts I met Heather and


bought this beautiful merino braid.


It was a fabulous day out, talking spinny / weavey / knitty things with lots of different folks. I wish I could have supported from everyone, all the great people that I have met who contribute to the fabulous fibre community that we have in this country.

I have enhanced my stash beautifully.

4 comments:

  1. Everything is gorgeous and I can't wait to spin up your little gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival and while it was pretty fantastic, it didn't compare to any festival I went to in England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog post and you look like you had a grand day! Love all the new fiber you acquired too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just when I was attempting a de-stash...

      Delete