Saturday, 3 March 2012

Woven Photograph

A few years ago I came across an article in Weavezine ( It intrigued me and I really wanted to attempt the technique. 

Over the Christmas holidays while walking though the mall, I saw a stall printing photos on canvas and I had an idea to combine two of my favourite hobbies. This project was born. 

The photo, however, is not one of mine. It was taken by a dear friend who has just started exploring photography and I thought I would surprise her. I had a A3 print made of it and it waited patiently for me to complete the project that was on my loom.

Finally I was able to start. 

On the back I measured quarter inch increments, numbered them and cut them into strips.

I wound a warp in the Theo Moorman technique and dressed the loom. This technique involves thick threads that weave the backing fabric 

and fine ones that hold the inserted strips in place. Here I have the fine threads raised so you can see them.

The sample showed that the strips would lie flat and next to each other. (I apologise for the blurred photo.)

My first mistake was evident when the lines of the cut strips did not match each other and make up the picture. Although the strips were placed in the correct position, I put them in the wrong way around. It created an interesting effect which I will experiment with another time but for this project, I wanted the photo whole so this bit was unwoven 

and rewoven correctly so that each strip matched up exactly to the next one.

It grew marvellously quickly and was great fun to weave. You can see the fine threads that are holding the canvas down.

Soon it was complete and cut off the loom.

Once again I apologise for the next two blurred photos but they are the only ones I have. This is the back. I machine stitched the strips down just over the edge of the grey fabric and steam ironed it flat 

before cutting away the excess canvas.

I hemmed the sides then the top and the bottom to cover the canvas strips

and inserted thin dowel sticks in to the top and bottom seam to make a frame. Lastly I made a twisted hanging cord.

This was a fun, quick project to make and one I enjoyed immensely. When I do this again, I will make the framing fabric larger.


  1. That is awesome. I've been tempted a number of times to do something similar with a commercial fabric with a beautiful pattern, but it never occurred to me to do it with a photo.

    Hmmmmmm.... As if I need more things on my weaving "to do" list.

    1. Thank you:) I feel the same way about the 'to do' list!